The Pediatric Data Collection System (PDCS) was developed to collect Pediatric staging and site-specific data item (SSDI) information. The staging elements collected are based on the Toronto Childhood Cancer Staging Guidelines, Version 2, along with additional data items for surveillance purposes. The PDCS also allows for expansion to develop further staging and clinically significant information for pediatric cancers.
Toronto Stage was developed based on a consensus meeting held in Toronto by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) in 2014. Since this time, multiple countries have implemented the Toronto Staging Guidelines for pediatric cancers. The US will be collecting this same information so that it can be used internationally.
In each Pediatric schema, valid values, definitions, and registrars notes are provided for each of the core data elements: Pediatric Primary Tumor, Pediatric Regional Nodes, Pediatric Mets, and for any Site-Specific Data Items (SSDIs) pertinent to the schemas. Each of the pediatric schemas were defined (primary site, histology, age) according to the Toronto Staging Guidelines, v2. A Pediatric ID will also be calculated.
For cancers diagnosed January 1, 2024, and later, the NCI SEER program will start collecting the data items within the PDCS.
All registries that are participating in the National Childhood Cancer Registry will collect the PDCS core data elements (pediatric primary tumor, pediatric regional nodes, pediatric mets), plus any SSDIs applicable to the schemas.
News and Announcements
September 19, 2022
September 8, 2022Initial Release of Toronto Staging v0.1
This is the beta release of the Toronto staging algorithm for use by the Kentucky Cancer Registry who has graciously offered to aid in the testing of data collection.
Pediatric Schema List
Click the Pediatric Schema List button to display a list of the 33 schemas. Click the name of the schema for more information. The following is provided for each schema
- General information
- ICD-O-3 topography and histology combinations that are included in the schema, with any necessary schema discriminators
- Notes related to the entire schema
- Data Items
- Standard data items, such as Primary Site [#400] and Behavior [#523]
- Data items site specific definitions, such as Pediatric Primary Tumor [#9623], Pediatric Regional Nodes [#9624], Pediatric Mets [#9625]
- Site specific data items (SSDIs) that apply to the schema, such as Intl Neuroblastoma Path Prog Class (INPC) [#9610] for Neuroblastoma and Pretext Clinical Staging [#9626] for Hepatoblastoma
- Clicking a data item name will display the data item notes and valid code list
- Staging Method, or calculation algorithms, defined for the schema, for example
- Pediatric Stage, which calculations the appropriate staging value, if any, for the schema. These are captured in Derived Pediatric Stage Group [#9606] and include Ann Arbor Stage for Hodgkin Lymphoma, International Neuroblastoma Staging System (INSS) for Neuroblastoma, and Mets based staging for the Malignant Bone schemas.
- Outputs, or the data items that can be calculated for the schema