Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Head and Neck
Excluding Skin of Eyelid and Malignant Melanoma, Merkel Cell Carcinoma, Kaposi Sarcoma, Mycosis Fungoides, Sezary Disease, and Other Lymphomas
C000 Vermilion border of upper lip (excludes external upper lip)
C001 Vermilion border of lower lip (excludes external lower lip)
C002 Vermilion border of lip, NOS (excludes external lip, NOS)
C006 Commissure of lip
C440 Skin of lip, NOS
C442 External ear
C443 Skin of other and unspecified parts of face
C444 Skin of scalp and neck
**Note 1:** The following sources were used in the development of this schema
* SEER Extent of Disease 1988: Codes and Coding Instructions (3rd Edition, 1998) (https://seer.cancer.gov/archive/manuals/EOD10Dig.3rd.pdf)
* SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions (https://seer.cancer.gov/tools/ssm/)
* Collaborative Stage Data Collection System, version 02.05: https://cancerstaging.org/cstage/Pages/default.aspx
* Chapter 15 *Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck*, in the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, Eighth Edition (2017) published by Springer International Publishing. Used with permission of the American College of Surgeons, Chicago, Illinois.
**Note 2:** Summary Stage is the only applicable staging system for the following sites. See the **Skin Other** schema.
* C445: Skin of trunk
* C446: Skin of upper limb and shoulder
* C447: Skin of lower limb and hip
* C448: Overlapping lesion of skin
* C449: Skin, NOS
**Note 3:** Summary Stage is the only applicable staging system for Scrotum. See the Male Genital Organ schema
**Note 4:** For skin cancers overlapping sites in the head and neck ONLY, assign the primary site code for the site where the bulk of the tumor is or where the epicenter is. Do not use code C448.