Number of Examined Para-Aortic Nodes
**Note 1:** Physician statement of examined para-aortic nodes can be used to code this data item when no other information is available.
**Note 2:** The following are para-aortic nodes
* Lateral aortic/lateral lumbar
* Para-aortic, NOS
**Note 3:** Record the number of examined para-aortic lymph nodes documented in the medical record.
**Note 4:** For the following
* Code 00 when no lymph nodes are examined by FNA, core biopsy or removal of lymph node(s) (e.g., sentinel lymph node biopsy or lymph node dissection)
* If a lymph node dissection is done and only pelvic lymph nodes are assessed, or only "nodes" are documented without specifying pelvic or para-aortic, code to 00
* Code X6 If only a FNA or core biopsy is done
* Code X9 if it’s unknown if lymph nodes were removed
**Note 5:** The number of para-aortic nodes positive is recorded in 3901: Number of Positive Para-aortic Nodes.