Summary Stage 2018: Prostate
Summary Stage 2018
C619 Prostate gland
**Note 1:** The following sources were used in the development of this chapter
* SEER Extent of Disease 1988: Codes and Coding Instructions (3rd Edition, 1998) (https://seer.cancer.gov/archive/manuals/EOD10Dig.3rd.pdf)
* SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions (https://seer.cancer.gov/tools/ssm/ssm2000/)
* Collaborative Stage Data Collection System, version 02.05: https://cancerstaging.org/cstage/Pages/default.aspx
* Chapter 58 *Prostate*, in the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, Eighth Edition (2017) published by Springer International Publishing. Used with permission of the American College of Surgeons, Chicago, Illinois.
**Note 2:** See the following chapters for the listed histologies
* 8710-8714, 8800-8934, 8940-9138, 9141-9582: *Soft Tissue*
* 8935-8936: *GIST*
* 9140: *Kaposi Sarcoma*
* 9700-9701: *Mycosis Fungoides*
**Note 3:** See the *Urethra* chapter for transitional cell (urothelial) carcinoma of the prostatic urethra (C680).
**Note 4:** When the only information available is a TURP, with no other evidence of lymph node involvement or distant metastasis involvement, assign code 1.
**Note 5:** Imaging is not used to determine the clinical extension. If a physician incorporates imaging findings into their evaluation (including the clinical T category), do not use this information.
**Note 6:** If there is no information from the DRE, but the physician assigns a clinical extent of disease, the registrar can use that.
* *Example:* DRE reveals prostate is "firm." Physician stages the patient as a cT2a.
The T2a (localized) can be used since the physician has documented this.
**Note 7:** Involvement of prostatic urethra does not alter the Summary Stage code.
**Note 8:** "Frozen pelvis" is a clinical term which means tumor extends to pelvic sidewall(s) (code 7).
**Note 9:** When prostate cancer is an incidental finding during a prostatectomy for other reasons (for example, a cystoprostatectomy for bladder cancer), use the appropriate code for the extent of disease found.
(1) Fritz AG, Ries LAG (eds). **SEER Extent of Disease 1988: Codes and Coding Instructions (3rd Edition, 1998)**, National Cancer Institute, NIH Pub. No. 98-2313, Bethesda, MD, 1998
(2) Young JL Jr, Roffers SD, Ries LAG, Fritz AG, Hurlbut AA (eds.). **SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions**, National Cancer Institute, NIH Pub. No. 01-4969, Bethesda, MD, 2001.
(3) Collaborative Stage Work Group of the American Joint Committee on Cancer. **Collaborative Stage Data Collection System User Documentation and Coding Instructions, version 02.05**. American Joint Committee on Cancer (Chicago, IL)
(4) Gress, D.M., Edge, S.B., Gershenwald, J.E., et al. **Principles of Cancer Staging**. In: Amin, M.B., Edge, S.B., Greene, F.L., et al. (Eds.) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th Ed. New York: Springer; 2017
(5) Buyyounouski, M.K., Lin, D.W., et al. **Prostate**. In: Amin, M.B., Edge, S.B., Greene, F.L., et al. (Eds.) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th Ed. New York: Springer; 2017