Summary Stage 2018: Skin (except Eyelid)
Summary Stage 2018
**Skin (except Eyelid)**
8000-8040, 8042-8180, 8191-8246, 8248-8700, 8940, 8982
C000-C002, C006, C440, C442-C449
C000 Vermilion border of upper lip (excludes external upper lip)
C001 Vermilion border of lower lip (excludes external lower lip)
C002 Vermilion border of lip, NOS (excludes external lip, NOS)
C006 Commissure of lip
C440 Skin of lip, NOS
C442 External ear
C443 Skin of other and unspecified parts of face
C444 Skin of scalp and neck
C445 Skin of trunk
C446 Skin of upper limb and shoulder
C447 Skin of lower limb and hip
C448 Overlapping lesion of skin
C449 Skin, NOS
**Note 1:** The following sources were used in the development of this chapter
* SEER Extent of Disease 1988: Codes and Coding Instructions (3rd Edition, 1998) (https://seer.cancer.gov/archive/manuals/EOD10Dig.3rd.pdf)
* SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions (https://seer.cancer.gov/tools/ssm/ssm2000/)
* Collaborative Stage Data Collection System, version 02.05: https://cancerstaging.org/cstage/Pages/default.aspx
* For *primary sites C000-C002, C006, C440, C442-C444*, Chapter 15 *Cutaneous Carcinoma Head and Neck*, in the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, Eighth Edition (2017) published by Springer International Publishing. Used with permission of the American College of Surgeons, Chicago, Illinois.
**Note 2:** See the following chapters for the listed histologies
* 8041, 8190, 8247: *Merkel Cell Skin*
* 8710-8714, 8800-8934, 8941-8981, 8983-9137, 9141-9582: *Soft Tissue*
* 8720-8790: *Melanoma Skin*
* 8935-8936: *GIST*
* 9140: *Kaposi Sarcoma*
* 9700-9701: *Mycosis Fungoides*
**Note 3:** Summary Stage is the only applicable staging system for primary sites C445-C449.
**Note 4:** Bilateral or contralateral nodes are classified as regional nodes for head, neck, and truncal tumors with bidirectional drainage to primary nodal basins, as shown on lymphoscintigraphy. Truncal tumors may also drain to both cephalad and caudal primary nodal basins as shown on lymphoscintigraphy.
* Clinical assessment of bilateral/contralateral or cephalad/caudal regional nodal involvement is required for tumors where lymphoscintigraphy is not performed
**Note 5:** Contiguous or secondary nodal basins are the next nodal drainage basins beyond the primary nodal basins and are coded as regional nodes.
(1) Fritz AG, Ries LAG (eds). **SEER Extent of Disease 1988: Codes and Coding Instructions (3rd Edition, 1998)**, National Cancer Institute, NIH Pub. No. 98-2313, Bethesda, MD, 1998
(2) Young JL Jr, Roffers SD, Ries LAG, Fritz AG, Hurlbut AA (eds.). **SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions**, National Cancer Institute, NIH Pub. No. 01-4969, Bethesda, MD, 2001.
(3) Collaborative Stage Work Group of the American Joint Committee on Cancer. **Collaborative Stage Data Collection System User Documentation and Coding Instructions, version 02.05**. American Joint Committee on Cancer (Chicago, IL)
(4) Gress, D.M., Edge, S.B., Gershenwald, J.E., et al. **Principles of Cancer Staging**. In: Amin, M.B., Edge, S.B., Greene, F.L., et al. (Eds.) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th Ed. New York: Springer; 2017: 3-30
(5) Lydiatt, W.M., Patel, S.G., Shah, J.P., et al. **Staging Head and Neck Cancers**. In: Amin, M.B., Edge, S.B., Greene, F.L., et al. (Eds.) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th Ed. New York: Springer; 2017: 55-65
(6) Califano, J.A., Lydiatt, W.M., Shah, J.P., et al. **Cutaneous Carcinoma of the Head and Neck**. In: Amin, M.B., Edge, S.B., Greene, F.L., et al. (Eds.) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th Ed. New York: Springer; 2017: 171-181