Summary Stage 2018: Pleural Mesothelioma
Summary Stage 2018
C340-C343, C348-C349, C384
C340 Main bronchus
C341 Upper lobe, lung
C342 Middle lobe, lung
C343 Lower lobe, lung
C348 Overlapping lesion of lung
C349 Lung, NOS
**Note 1:** The following sources were used in the development of this chapter
* SEER Extent of Disease 1988: Codes and Coding Instructions (3rd Edition, 1998) (https://seer.cancer.gov/archive/manuals/EOD10Dig.3rd.pdf)
* SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions (https://seer.cancer.gov/tools/ssm/ssm2000/)
* Collaborative Stage Data Collection System, version 02.05: https://cancerstaging.org/cstage/Pages/default.aspx
* Chapter 37 *Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma*, in the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, Eighth Edition (2017) published by Springer International Publishing. Used with permission of the American College of Surgeons, Chicago, Illinois.
**Note 2:** Code 0 is not applicable for this chapter.
**Note 3:** Most pleural effusions are due to tumor. When the cytopathological examinations of pleural fluid are negative for tumor, the effusion should be excluded as a staging element and the tumor should not be classified as metastasis.
* The physician statement of pleural effusion can be used to code this data item
* If the physician feels the pleural effusion is due to tumor, despite negative cytology, the physician's assessment can be used.
* If pleural fluid cytology is described as suspicious/suspicious for mesothelioma, code 7
(1) Fritz AG, Ries LAG (eds). **SEER Extent of Disease 1988: Codes and Coding Instructions (3rd Edition, 1998)**, National Cancer Institute, NIH Pub. No. 98-2313, Bethesda, MD, 1998
(2) Young JL Jr, Roffers SD, Ries LAG, Fritz AG, Hurlbut AA (eds.). **SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions**, National Cancer Institute, NIH Pub. No. 01-4969, Bethesda, MD, 2001.
(3) Collaborative Stage Work Group of the American Joint Committee on Cancer. **Collaborative Stage Data Collection System User Documentation and Coding Instructions, version 02.05**. American Joint Committee on Cancer (Chicago, IL)
(4) Gress, D.M., Edge, S.B., Gershenwald, J.E., et al. **Principles of Cancer Staging**. In: Amin, M.B., Edge, S.B., Greene, F.L., et al. (Eds.) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th Ed. New York: Springer; 2017: 3-30
(5) Rusch, V.W., et al. **Malignant Plural Mesothelioma**. In: Amin, M.B., Edge, S.B., Greene, F.L., et al. (Eds.) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th Ed. New York: Springer; 2017: 457-468