Summary Stage 2018: Melanoma Skin
Summary Stage 2018
8720-8790 (C000-C002, C006, C210, C440-C449, C500, C510-C512, C518-C519, C600-C602, C608-C609, C632)
**Note 1:** The following sources were used in the development of this chapter
* SEER Extent of Disease 1988: Codes and Coding Instructions (3rd Edition, 1998) (https://seer.cancer.gov/archive/manuals/EOD10Dig.3rd.pdf)
* SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions (https://seer.cancer.gov/tools/ssm/ssm2000/)
* Collaborative Stage Data Collection System, version 02.05: https://cancerstaging.org/cstage/Pages/default.aspx
* Chapter 47 *Melanoma of the Skin*, in the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, Eighth Edition (2017) published by Springer International Publishing. Used with permission of the American College of Surgeons, Chicago, Illinois.
**Note 2:** For melanoma of sites other than those above
* C003-C005, C008-C069, C090-C148, C300-C329: See Melanoma Head and Neck
* C690: See Melanoma Conjunctiva
* C693, C694: See Melanoma Uvea
* For all other sites, use the appropriate site-specific schema
**Note 3:** Lymph nodes with isolated tumor cells (ITCs) are counted as positive lymph nodes. ITCs are defined as any tumor deposits in lymph nodes less than or equal to 0.2 mm.
**Note 4:** If there is a discrepancy between the Clark level and the pathological description of extent (invasion into the layers of the dermis), use the higher (more extensive) code.
**Note 5:** Code the greatest extent of invasion from any procedure performed on the lesion, whether it is described as a biopsy or an excision. For example, if a punch biopsy with involvement of Clark level IV is followed by a re-excision with residual tumor involving Clark level II, code 2 (Clark level IV).
**Note 6:** Satellite lesions/nodules or in-transit metastases are coded as regional nodes (code 3).
(1) Fritz AG, Ries LAG (eds). **SEER Extent of Disease 1988: Codes and Coding Instructions (3rd Edition, 1998)**, National Cancer Institute, NIH Pub. No. 98-2313, Bethesda, MD, 1998
(2) Young JL Jr, Roffers SD, Ries LAG, Fritz AG, Hurlbut AA (eds.). **SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions**, National Cancer Institute, NIH Pub. No. 01-4969, Bethesda, MD, 2001.
(3) Collaborative Stage Work Group of the American Joint Committee on Cancer. **Collaborative Stage Data Collection System User Documentation and Coding Instructions, version 02.05**. American Joint Committee on Cancer (Chicago, IL)
(4) Gress, D.M., Edge, S.B., Gershenwald, J.E., et al. **Principles of Cancer Staging**. In: Amin, M.B., Edge, S.B., Greene, F.L., et al. (Eds.) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th Ed. New York: Springer; 2017: 3-30
(5) Gershenwald, J.E., Scolyer, R.A., et al. **Melanoma of the Skin**. In: Amin, M.B., Edge, S.B., Greene, F.L., et al. (Eds.) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th Ed. New York: Springer; 2017: 563-585